Tuesday, August 17, 2010

T.J.'s Birthday at Miyoshi

Miyoshi
8660 Bankers Street
Florence, KY 41042-4242
(859) 525-6564


I heard about Miyoshi restaurant a year ago when one of my college professors told me it was her favorite joint to get sushi at. She said that they built the place for Toyota executives in the area to go eat at. I figured it must be good and pretty authentic since Japanese people would be eating there frequently, and when we walked in, we were the minority. Everyone there was Japanese except for one other couple. This excited me because I figured the restaurant would be the highest quality of Japanese dining but also the closest I could get to eating REAL Japanese food prepared and served the way it would be in Japan.

The atmoshpere wasn't that great, it felt very small and stuffy almost. The walls were painted beige and extremely plain with no art or decorations up on them. It just didn't feel very inviting when you sat down. It almost felt like you were sitting in an office building, I feel like they could definitely use some more pieces that would be interesting to the eye.

Of course, we had to try the sushi so we ordered a spider roll...YUM! I loved the flavor of the spider roll and the pieces were huge so you really had to split them in half. T.J. said he still enjoys some other restaurant sushi's more, but I really liked it. It was also good to be confident that the sushi was freshly prepared. I still don't understand how people can eat sushi off a buffet...GROSS! The menu also provided a vast array of appetizers separated into a hot and cold section. We didn't try any of these.

For dinner we got similar entrees. I tried the teriyaki chicken while T.J. tried the teriyaki salmon, they were kind of the only things we could pronounce on the menu! I would do some research before I went if I were to go again. Before the main course we got miso soup and a salad. I preferred the miso soup over the salad while I think T.J. preferred the salad. Each were tasty in their own way though. Both the chicken and the salmon were cooked to perfection. Very tender and juicy. T.J. said it was the best salmon he's ever tasted. It was nice to be able to eat something that was high quaility like this seemed to be. It was prepared beautifully on oddly shaped plates which made the food look even tastier! The teriyaki sauce was very mild which is the opposite of what I am used to. Although it may not have had quite as bold of a flavor, the whole meal felt very light and fresh, which was nice for a change.

The service kind of sucked. Our drinks were empty a lot. They only give you chopsticks at the table and I asked for a fork(really need to learn how to use chopsticks better) It took about 10 minutes for our forks to get there and the food was sitting right in front of us.

Overall, I think that Miyoshi had good, fresh, authentic food. It's not a place that T.J. and I will frequent, but every once in awhile I wouldn't mind going. Our bill was about 38 dollars for two entrees and the sushi. Some entrees did cost about 20 dollars though.

Hope T.J. enjoyed his birthday dinner! Also sorry for the lack of pictures, I couldn't find many online. I am going to start taking my own from now on!

Rice, teriyaki, and Chopsticks!
--Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment