Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mammoth Cafe is doing something right

Mammoth Cafe
515 Monmouth St
Newport, KY 41071
(859) 291-8875

If you like quaint coffee shops, this is the place for you! Mammoth Cafe provides an atmosphere much like a Starbucks only you feel more at home when you are greeted by the friendly employees. There is antique furniture, including chairs and tables of all shapes, in the cafe which provides lots of places for your eyes to wander. They also have a large wrap around booth so you can come here with several of your friends or b
y yourself to do homework on their free wifi network. I also enjoyed the fact that they supported local art, showcasing a photographer in the main room. In this room also sits a piano that would be fun to play for a small coffee house type show. T.J. and I found ourselves sitting there sipping on our drinks for an hour and a half while playing Yahtzee. It had been so long since we played and when we saw the game cabinet with a few old games in it we had to start playing. It was a blast!


I am sad to say that we only tried their coffee while we were there. I had a milky way frappe which was delightful. I like that it was sweet but still tasted like coffee. Great taste overall. They also serve breakfast and lunch, and a variety of scones, muffins, and other treats. The cafe just started staying open last week until 9 p.m. as well so it's a great place for after dinner drinks or a late evening cup of coffee.

I must admit although Mammoth has been there for several years, I had never noticed it before. When talking with the owner (who was extremely friendly and welcoming) I learned that she had only owned it for about 7 months. I have got to say that she must be doing something right because I had driven past that place so many times and never given it a second look. I'm glad I did this time!

1 comment: