Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Guru

 Guru Indian Restaurant
2303 Buttermilk Xing
Crescent Springs, KY 41017-1622
(859) 341-5858
(Located next to Outback)


    When I first tried Indian food, i absolutely hated it. Whatever I got was just too strong and I thought that I hated all Indian food in general. After eating lunch with T.J. at work one day and discovering my strong love for Indian food I have been begging to go back ever since!

     Guru Indian Restaurant is a sister to Ambar Indian Restaurant in Clifton. While the food tastes exactly the same due to the same owners, I prefer Ambar's atmosphere. It is a lot more ecclectic, busy, and exciting while Guru was extremely quiet and could almost feel awkward. Nevertheless the food is delicious!

    First we will start with my choice which I will never stray from because it is SO delicious. The Chicken Tikka Masala. As pictured below. In the menu they describe the sauce as a savory tomato, onion, and butter sauce. I have to say it doesn't taste like tomatoes that much the sauce is just very savory and unique in my opinon. Most of the specialities are served over a bed of rice. You can also chose your spice level. I picked a 3 and it wasn't spicy at all, I think it depends on who is cooking.
      T.J. decided to branch out and try something new, the Chicken Tikka Saag.(pictured below) This is a dish with a creamy spinach sauce. The sauce is very thick and although T.J. liked it at first, he didn't like it towards the end. It has a ton of spinach in it, so althought I didn't taste it, it seemed a little overpowering. T.J. has a few co-workers that actually love this dish so it may be for you! He wished he would have stuck with one of his favorite dishes that Chicken Shahi Korma which actually incorporates nuts and raisins for a different taste.

     We are both chicken fans but the restaurant also has many vegetarian, shrimp, and even lamb specialties. We would also recommend getting Nan with your dinner. Nan is a flat traditional indian bread. You can get many different types of Nan but we got the Paneer Nan which has cheese baked in. The Nan is a more plain flavor so it contrasts really well with the bold flavors of the actual meals. Here is a picture of T.J. with our Nan.

     If you have never tried Indian food before, I have a couple suggestions for you. I know that Guru sometimes offers a lunch buffet where you could go and try many dishes. That information is not on their website but I'm sure you could call and find out the times and prices for that. I would also recommend going for lunch since the prices are cheaper and portions are smaller, take a friend with you so you can also try their meal. Also, don't give up if you don't like your first experience with the food. Most likely it is like nothing you have ever tasted before so it may be out of your comfort zone. It truly is delicious and I believe that everyone can find something on the menu they will fall in love with.

Dinner was around $30. Coupons can be found in REACH magazine.

What's your favorite Indian meal?

--Lauren

1 comment: